Wish you were on vacation in the clear waters of the Mediterranean? Me too. But it’s Tuesday so the best we can do is make this delicious Mediterranean Falafel Bowl for dinner tonight and taste these fresh and savory flavors. I use the Trader Joe’s Falafel mix that comes in a box to make the easiest baked and oil free falafel. All you do is add the mix to a bowl, still in water, and let it absorb for 30-60 minutes then scoop on a sheet and bake. I make my own hummus, which is definitely the healthiest and most cost effective way to go, and I throw my rice in my rice cooker and it does its thing. You can use whatever veggies you’d like to use, but from eating at Mediterranean restaurants these came to mind. It’s something different that’s not on our usual menu, so it’s fun to make and enjoy!
Mediterranean Falafel Bowls
1 box Trader Joe’s Falafel mix, water
1 large zucchini, large chop
10 oz baby Bella, quartered
1/2 red onion, large chop
2 yellow squash, large chop
Juice of one lemon
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 cups brown jasmine rice, dry
1 pinch saffron
Hummus- 1 can chickpeas, 1/4 cup aquafaba, 1 tsp garlic, juice of one lemon, dash of cumin, salt to taste. Blend in a high speed blender until smooth.
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, measure out falafel mix and follow instructions on how much water. Stir and let sit until water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375* and add rice and saffron to the rice cooker.
3. Chop veggies and lay on a parchment lined sheet, squeeze juice of a lemon over veggies, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano and then toss veggies to coat.
4. Once water is absorbed, use a scooper to form falafel balls on a parchment lined pan and bake. Be careful not to over bake because they dry out easily.
5. Bake veggies for 15-20 minutes until tender.
5. Assemble bowl with rice on the bottom, falafel, and veggies then add a scoop of hummus and a wedge of lemon. You can sprinkle with smoked paprika or some red pepper flakes for a kick.