My mom used to make Chicken Divan as one of her classics, and it was always one of my favorites. Going vegan, it took me a while to realize that I could veganize the recipe and wouldn’t have to miss it at all! It’s so many layers of textures and flavors, plus the curry sauce is warming and delicious. The cheeze and breadcrumbs get crisp and crunchy on top and it’s even better served over rice. Growing up we served over white rice, but I usually use brown and it would be great with either. I hope you try it out and enjoy it as much as I do!
Tofu Divan Recipe– serves 4 (around 280 calories a serving/without rice)
2 stalks of broccoli, chopped into bite size spears
1/2 tsp garlic powder
olive oil spray
1 block of organic extra firm tofu, cut into bite size chunks
2 tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
2 tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups unsweetened original almond milk
2 tsp Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base
1 tbsp curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, make sure they’re vegan
1/2 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- Preheat oven to 400* and add the broccoli to one baking sheet, spray with evoo, toss with garlic powder, salt and pepper, then add to the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- On another baking sheet, add the tofu, spray with evoo, salt and pepper, and bake for 30 minutes as well.
- While the broccoli and tofu are baking, start your cream sauce. Add the butter to a sauce pan to melt over medium heat and once melted, add the flour and mix to make a roux. Stir for a minute or two to cook the flour taste out.
- Whisk in the almond milk and bouillon to make a smooth mixture and then turn up the heat until it starts to boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and let it thicken, about 10 minutes, and then add the curry and a dash of pepper.
- In a medium sized baking dish, spay with evoo to prevent sticking, add the broccoli as the bottom layer, top with the tofu, and then pour the cream sauce evenly over the top.
- Spread the panko over the top and then add the vegan cheeze over the breadcrumbs.
- Bake uncovered on 400* for 30 minutes and serve over rice!
One Comment Add yours
Yum!! Glad it work out well😘
Sent from my iPhone
LikeLiked by 1 person