Thanksgiving is here again and it’s our third vegan Thanksgiving! I haven’t posted much lately because pregnancy doesn’t exactly bring out your best cooking or blogging skills. All I’ve been wanting to do is eat what sounds good at that minute and it’s usually not interesting enough to write a post about!
Now that it’s Thanksgiving, I’ve been cooking some of our favorite dishes to bring to our family celebrations this week. Yesterday we had Josh’s side Thanksgiving and I made lazy girl stuffing, literally Pepperidge Farm cubed Herb Stuffing mix bag, and I sauteed frozen mirepoix to mix with it. I use Better than Bouillon No Chicken base to make the stock to mix in and then baked it. It was still delish! Then I made this Vegan Apple and Cherry Slab Pie to bring and it was a hit! Not only do the cookie cutters make this beautiful, the flavor is delicious. Also, leftovers in the toaster oven taste like the best Pop Tart you’ve ever had. It would also be great topped with vegan vanilla ice cream. YUM! I love the idea of a slab pie because it’s easier to prepare and it feeds more people than a traditional pie and you don’t have to worry about burning the edges of the crust.
Vegan Apple and Cherry Slab Pie
4.5 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups Earth Balance butter, cold and cubed
3/4 cups vegetable shortening, cold and cubed
2 tsp sugar
dash of salt
Add ingredients to food processor and pulse until mixed, then add a few tbsp of ice cold water (one at a time) and continue to pulse until dough is formed. Be careful to not make it too wet! Refrigerate for at least an hour before rolling out.
3-4 peeled and sliced Honeycrisp apples
1 bag of frozen dark cherries
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
- Prepare crust ahead and refrigerate then preheat oven to 350*.
- Add all filling ingredients to a pan and bring to a boil, then down to a simmer for 10 or so minutes until apples are tender and filling is thickening. Let cool.
- To a baking sheet, roll out half of the dough to fit the sheet and pinch the crust so it comes up the sides of the baking sheet.
- Add the filling and spread evenly.
- Use leaf cookie cutters to cut the other half of the dough and spread them nicely on top of the pie.
- Bake pie for 30-35 minutes until bubbly and crust is turning golden brown.