I used to make this soup with chicken all of the time in the colder months and it was my go to for sick family and friends. I decided to veganize it, which wasn’t hard because I just had to swap chickpeas for chicken and veggie broth instead of chicken broth. I used Vegetarian Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base to give it the same depth of flavor and it was as delicious as ever. It warms your whole body and the lemony flavor brings freshness to this savory soup. I added spinach as well, because why not? Add greens wherever possible! This isn’t an all day soup, it can be made in less than 45 minutes and it’s best right away. You can have it leftover, but the orzo might be larger than intended and I always eat it anyway. I served it with a sliced apple and a toasted ciabatta roll perfect for dipping in the broth. This will be made many more times in the months ahead! It’s one of my favorites!
Lemon Chickpea Orzo Soup
1 yellow onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, halved and diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Vegetarian Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base
4 cups vegetable broth low sodium
3-4 cups water
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup orzo, dry
1 bag baby spinach
2 bay leaves
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
Juice of one lemon
Pepper to taste
1. In a large stockpot, add mirepoix (onions, carrots, celery) and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
2. Add garlic and cook an additional 3-4 minutes.
3. Pour in chickpeas, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaves.
4. Pour in stock and water then add the Bouillon.
5. Bring to a boil and then add orzo.
6. Turn to a low boil and cook 10 minutes until orzo is al dente and not too soft.
7. Add in spinach to wilt and then turn off heat.
8. Squeeze in lemon juice and add pepper.
9. Serve with apples and bread and enjoy!