This was my first attempt at making my own version of vegan broccoli faux cheese soup and it was more of a throw it in as I go and see how it turns out. I’m happy it ended up pretty tasty! I had to trial and error most of the way through though. That’s what I love about cooking! You try things out and if it doesn’t work, you can add something else to make it better. There’s usually something that will fix it before it gets served and it challenges me on a higher level when I come up with my own dishes. I like getting ideas and then trying to come up with my own thing like it and see how it turns out. It’s minimal ingredients and it’s really easy to make, especially with an immersion blender.
I would cook the veggies in less liquid so it would be thicker first off, so I took liquid out before I blended it and then cooked it down until it was the thickness I liked. I’ll be giving you the recipe of how I would do it next time!
Easy Faux-Cheezy Broccoli Potato Soup
2.5 lbs small Yukon gold potatoes, diced
3 broccoli crowns, chopped
1 yellow onion, diced large
3 cloves minced garlic
32 oz vegetable stock
2 cups carrots, chopped large
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp paprika
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
Splash of soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes (optional)
1. In a large soup pot, heat the vegetable stock with one cup of water and add the potatoes, carrots, and onion. Bring to a boil.
2. Turn down to a low boil for about 10 minutes and add 2/3 of the chopped broccoli and continue for another 10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
3. Turn off heat and add the nutritional yeast, garlic, spices, and soy sauce.
4. Use immersion blender or regular blender to blend until smooth.
5. Add the rest of the broccoli chopped very small and turn back on heat and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes until thick and broccoli is tender.
6. I served over brown rice with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.