This was my second attempt at making my own version of vegan broccoli faux cheese soup and it was more of a throw it in as I go and see how it turns out. I’m happy it ended up pretty tasty! I had to trial and error most of the way through though. That’s what I love about cooking! You try things out and if it doesn’t work, you can add something else to make it better. There’s usually something that will fix it before it gets served and it challenges me on a higher level when I come up with my own dishes. I like getting ideas and then trying to come up with my own thing like it and see how it turns out. It’s minimal ingredients and it’s really easy to make, especially with an immersion blender.
It’s thick and smooth and perfect for a cozy night in. It’s thick enough to feel hearty and I even add 1/2 cup brown rice when serving so it gives it some extra texture. I topped with green onion and red pepper flakes for a little kick!
Easy Faux-Cheezy Broccoli Potato Soup
2.5 lbs small Yukon gold potatoes, diced
2 broccoli crowns, chopped
1 yellow onion, diced large
3 cloves minced garlic
6 cups water
1 tsp Vegetarian Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base
2 cups carrots, chopped large
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes (optional)
1. In a large soup pot, heat the water and add the potatoes, carrots, and onion. Bring to a boil.
2. Turn down to a low boil and add the Bouillon then boil for about 10 minutes. Then add the chopped broccoli and continue for another 10 minutes until vegetable
3. Turn off heat and add the nutritional yeast, garlic, and spices.
4. Use immersion blender or regular blender to blend until smooth.
6. I served over brown rice with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and green onion.