I found a recipe on Pinterest for a lentil soup that had herbs, lentils, and spinach. I used this as my baseline and added a few more things that I thought would jazz it up a little! I switched kale out for spinach and also added some brown basmati rice to have a heartier soup. I also added celery to make a complete mirepoix and it was really thick, almost stew-like after the rice and lentils cooked. I sprinkled mine with a little nutritional yeast and served with a toasty ciabatta roll. It was the perfect cozy dinner for a stormy night in.
Smoky Lentil, Kale, and Rice Soup
1 cup dry green or brown lentils, rinsed
2/3 cup brown basmati rice, rinsed
2/3 cup carrots, diced
1 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp smoked paprika
3 cups veggie broth
3 cups water
1 bay leaf
-salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onion, carrot, and celery in a large soup pan for a few minutes.
- Add in garlic and spices until fragrant.
- Add broth and water, then bring up to a boil.
- Add in brown rice and return to a simmer, then cover for about 10 minutes.
- Add in lentils and continue cooking covered for another 15-20 minutes until lentils and rice are soft.
- Stir in kale and simmer for the last few minutes until wilted.
- Serve with a side of toasty bread or salad.