I bought a bag of whole wheat fusilli from Trader Joe’s to bring to the mountains as a back up in case we needed something to eat, but since we didn’t I got to use it the night we got home. I got some more veggies because I like to have about an equal ratio of veggies to pasta and a jar of oil free marinara and call it a day. It’s such a simple dinner and it’s low fat and follows the starch solution guidelines. It’s cheap and makes a ton! Also you can whip it up in about 10 minutes or as long as the pasta takes to boil. This is a great last minute meal and I love having the leftovers for lunches. You can add whatever veggies you have on hand, these are just the ones I like in my pasta.
1 lb whole wheat fusilli
1 jar Organic Marinara Sauce (Fat free)
3 zucchini, quartered and sliced
1 bag baby spinach
10 oz baby Bella mushrooms, quartered
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic
Nutritional yeast for topping
1. Boil pasta in a large pot.
2. In a large skillet, sauté zucchini, mushrooms, and tomatoes.
3. Cook veggies for 5-7 minutes and then add in the spinach and combine until wilted.
4. Stir in the garlic and oregano.
5. Drain pasta and add back to the pot. Add in veggies and jar of sauce, and stir in about 3 tbsp of fresh basil torn.
6. Top with fresh basil and nutritional yeast.