I’m always down for a veggie Mac n cheeze, so when I saw this recipe on Instagram by @alexfuellednaturally I wanted to give it a try. I’ve never used white beans in the sauce before and it was really tasty! It still uses carrots and potatoes as well, and plant based milk and spices that blend together to make this super creamy and delicious “cheese” sauce. It was so tasty! It was one of the better ones I’ve made for sure and it ended up being 4 large servings and she says 4-6. I used brown rice pasta and the Tinkyada brand was really good and held together. I didn’t add any hot water, or extra nutritional yeast after I made the sauce and added 1 tbsp of vegan butter but I think it would have been fine without it honestly.
Creamy Mac n Veggies
1.5 bags of Tinkyada brown rice penne
2 cups diced gold potatoes
2 cups diced carrots
1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup almond or other plant based milk
5 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp earth balance butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Top the top with a dash of paprika
1. Boil potatoes and carrots for 20 minutes until soft and drain.
2. Boil pasta and rinse well while you are cooking veggies.
3. Add all ingredients until the butter to a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
4. Add the pasta back to the pot and then add the sauce and combine.
5. Add the butter, salt and pepper and stir then serve with a dash of paprika.