While we were at Atlantis we had a really yummy Chinese garlic eggplant dish one night so I wanted to make something similar at home. I was going to make this with broccoli, but decided to switch it up and use baby bok choy. I’m always up for a stir fry and I can’t believe I’ve never used eggplant in this way before because it soaks up all the flavors and it’s really tasty over rice. This is a sweet, spicy, saucy, and delicious way to make eggplant and it made a bunch! You can feed six from two eggplants, and you can add whatever other vegetables you like. If you’re not loving the spice (like Josh) just omit from the recipe and then sprinkle red pepper flakes on whoever’s dish that wants it.
Saucy Asian Eggplant, Mushrooms, and Bok Choy
2 eggplants, diced and salted
14 oz baby Bella mushrooms, diced
1 bag of baby boy choy, diced
1 cup of broccoli florets
4 green onions, sliced
Brown rice for serving
Sweet and Spicy Oil Free Sauce
1/2 cup coconut aminos
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
3 tsp pure maple syrup
1.5 tsp corn starch
1.5 tsp rice vinegar
sprinkle of pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt the eggplant and let it sit out for 30-45 minutes so it excretes its bitterness and then press with a paper towel.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add broccoli, mushrooms, and eggplant.
- Stir fry for 10 minutes until tender and add bok choy, green onion, and sauce.
- Turn to low heat and then continue cooking for 5 more minutes until sauce has thickened and bok choy has wilted.
- Serve over brown rice and top with extra green onion and red pepper flakes.
3 Comments Add yours
Where do you buy the coconut aminos?
I love eggplant and this looks delicious!