Taco Friday!!! A little early for Cinco de Mayo (which we’re still celebrating today) but you just can’t have too many tacos. There’s so many fillings to add to tacos, and this was something I would never have made before but it was really great! Josh was so tired from 3 finals in two days that he fell asleep while I was making dinner so he skipped dinner and is currently still sleeping 14 hrs later… finals stink. So tacos for one!
The filling in these tacos is quinoa but after you make it, you mix it with spices and then bake it until it’s dried and crunchy. It gives it a lot of texture and the flavor is perfect for taco filling. You can top it with whatever toppings you want, but I chose lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and avocado. I added salsa after the picture was taken. They were definitely really salty, because I forgot that I added bouillon to the quinoa and then I added salt while adding spices as well. I’ll be bloated for a few days, so definitely don’t add the salt!
Crunchy Quinoa Tacos
makes 4 tacos
1 cup dried quinoa
2 cups water
1 tsp Vegetarian Better than Bouillon Beef
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp salsa
tortillas- I used the Sprouted whole grain Ezekiel brand
Toppings- lettuce, avocado, tomato, cucumber
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- In a small saucepan bring water to a boil and stir in quinoa. Boil until water is absorbed and quinoa is cooked through.
- Stir in boullion to quinoa and then turn off heat.
- Add spices and salsa and stir to combine then spread on a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Bake quinoa for 45 minutes and stir occasionally to ensure it gets crunchy on all sides.
- Warm tortillas and fill with quinoa mixture and toppings.