Lemon and blueberry are best friends in my eyes, so these donuts are unbelievably scrumptious! They’re baked and oil free, so you’re able to have an indulgent breakfast without the saturated fat involved. They’re tart and tangy but also sweet and soft and the lemon glaze is the perfect topping to these treats. I’ve made donuts once before and they were really tasty but I think I overcooked them a little bit, so today that was something I watched carefully to keep them moist and soft. I found a recipe for lemon glazed donuts on Pinterest and adjusted it accordingly to make it oil free, and I added the blueberries in. I doubled it to make a dozen and they’re going fast! The best part was that it took about 25-30 minutes from the time I decided to make them til I was biting into one. Perfect for weekend mornings!
Lemon Blueberry Donuts
2 tbsp ground flax seed, mixed with 5 tbsp water
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Dash of salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
4 drops lemon vitality essential oil
4 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 375* and combine flax and water to let it gel.
2. Combine all dry ingredients and mix then add in wet ingredients to mix.
3. Add in flax egg and combine then add in the blueberries last.
4. Spray donut pans and spoon in the batter in to the top of each space until full.
5. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool for another 10 on a cooling rack.
6. Combine glaze ingredients with a whisk and stir until smooth. Once donuts are cool, dip each donut in the glaze and put them back on the cooling rack to dry for another 2-3 minutes.
Tip- I used a foil covered pan under the cooling rack to prevent a big mess.
Original recipe – https://delightfuladventures.com/vegan-baked-lemon-doughnuts/