I love how versatile eggplant is and it’s such a great main for any meal. One of my favorite ways to make it is Eggplant Parmesan for an Italian flair and it’s so good. This is a quick and easy recipe to make and it doesn’t require layering or baking a 9×13. I like how the eggplant stays crispy when you add it to the top of the pasta instead of layering it with sauce because it tends to get mushy. I cooked pasta and added marinara then added the crispy eggplant on top. I really recommend getting the Violife vegan parmesan because it seriously tastes so similar to the real thing it’s crazy. The block has lasted months because I just use a micro-plane to shave some on top of my food and I still have half left. It’s perfect for this dish! It’s also really important to season your breadcrumbs so the eggplant itself is flavorful. I bake it until crispy in the oven without oil and it works great! It doesn’t get as brown being oil free, but don’t worry it’s just as crispy.
Oil Free Eggplant Parmesan (vegan)
2 large eggplants, peeled and sliced about 1/2 inch thick
1/2 cup almond milk
1 cup GF Italian style breadcrumbs, got mine from Kroger
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper
1 jar marinara, I love Rao’s
1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
block of Violife vegan parm for grating
- Preheat oven to 425*.
- Make an assembly line with eggplant, almond milk in a bowl, and mix breadcrumbs with other spices and put on a plate.
- Dip each slice in almond milk, then lightly dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Lay on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes on each side. Take them out, grate parm on top of each slice, and add bake to the oven to broil another 3-4 minutes. Watch so they don’t burn!
- Prepare pasta to al dente and add back into the pot with a jar of sauce.
- Plate with pasta on the bottom, and eggplant slices laid on top. Add additional vegan parm if you like!