Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone!
I wanted to be festive and come up with a green (yet still appetizing) breakfast today and came up with these vanilla lime donuts. Naturally green without the crazy amount of food coloring usually used today. They’re simple with a zing of tangy like flavor and you’ll feel lucky when you have a bite of these! 🍀 They’re fluffy and soft with a tangy sweet glaze and perfect for a lazy Sunday morning! I found last time I made donuts that they’re better when you serve them right away, or the glaze starts melting into the donut and seems to disappear. I saved the leftovers in the fridge for the next day, but if you’re wanting them at their best, serve immediately. I used the same donut recipe I used last time but took out the lemon and blueberries and added more vanilla and lime oil. They’re easy to bake when you have a donut pan, and I got mine for about $12 each on Amazon. I hope you enjoy them and have a fantastic St. Patty’s day!
Vanilla Lime Donuts
2 tbsp ground flax seed + 5 tbsp water
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Dash of salt
1 cup almond milk unsweetened
4 drops lime essential oil
4 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
1.5 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
Juice of one lime
Zest of one lime
Stir until smooth
1. Preheat oven to 375* and mix flax and water and set aside to gel.
2. Combine dry ingredients and mix in a large bowl, then mix wet ingredients in a mixing cup and then add to the dry. Stir until combined, but don’t over mix.
3. Add in the flax eggs and stir to combine.
4. Spray donut pans with extra virgin olive oil just to grease lightly and use a tablespoon to fill each cavity until full.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden. Remove and let cool on a cooling rack.
6. While donuts are baking, mix glaze together and set aside.
7. Let donuts cool for 8-10 minutes and then dip each donut in the glaze. Place back on the cooling rack to cook another 3-5 minutes. I place the cooling rack over a lined baking pan.