Rice-a-licious! Well, my friend requested something with rice and guacamole so I came up with this! It’s a Mexican rice dish packed with extra yumminess to make it a complete meal. It was Josh’s 3rd time eating Mexican this weekend, and I think he would continue to eat it daily if guac is involved. This dish wasn’t only loaded with veggies and beans, but also with tons of flavor. I made ours mild because Josh can’t handle the spice, but if you like things spicy you could add in a jalapeno or add more cayenne to the spice mix. It’s mixed together in a pan and then baked in the oven in a casserole dish so the top layer of rice gets a little crispy, then I topped it with fresh tomatoes, guacamole, tiny diced red onion, cilantro, and lime to add freshness. I was planning on adding salsa to the top as well, but in the end I didn’t think it needed anything else. It was seriously scrumptious!
Loaded Mexican Rice Bake
1 yellow onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 large zucchini, quartered and diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup Roasted Corn (frozen TJ’s)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper ground
salt and pepper to taste
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
4 cups cooked brown rice
Topping options– guacamole, fresh tomatoes, cilantro, red onion, lime
- Preheat oven to 400* and have rice already cooked.
- In a large saute pan, cook onions and peppers over medium heat.
- Add in the zucchini and garlic and cook until they begin to become tender.
- Stir in black beans and corn then add the spices and combine.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and mix then add in the rice and combine until evenly mixed.
- Pour into a small 9×13, not sure what size mine was but it was smaller than my normal 9×13 but same shape casserole dish.
- Bake covered for 10-15 minutes and then uncover and turn on broil for 5ish more minutes until sides are bubbling and top is getting crispy.
- Serve and add all the toppings your heart desires!
One Comment Add yours
Lovely recipe 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person