Everyone loves pizza night! Think going vegan means you can no longer enjoy one of the world’s favorite foods? NO WAY! Pizza can be so easily veganized and it’s still very much enjoyed at our house. We went over to my parent’s house last night for family dinner on Memorial Day and decided to make pizzas. We could make several and everyone could add what they wanted and be happy! My dad fired up the Green Egg with coals and heated the pizza stone so it was super hot, which ensures a crispy crust, and I’m in charge of the prepping of the pizzas in the kitchen. I roll them out, top them with toppings of choice, and then he grills them for 6-8 minutes until they’re bubbly and crisp! It’s a family event that everyone enjoys, and we slice them all up and wish we made them more often.
Grilled Vegan Pizza
1 ball of Italian pizza dough (we get ours in the Publix deli)
3/4 cup Rao’s marinara sauce
1 onion, diced
8 oz baby Bella mushrooms, diced
1/2 large bag baby spinach
1 tsp minced garlic
5 oz tempeh sausage crumbles (Recipe here)
fresh basil leaves, torn on top
sprinkled with nutritional yeast
cornmeal for rolling and nonstick
- Heat Green Egg Smoker/Grill to 600-700* and heat up pizza stone for 10-15 minutes.
- In a skillet, saute onions, mushrooms, spinach, and garlic until soft. Prepare tempeh sausage and set aside.
- Using corn meal, roll out dough until thin in a circular shape about the size of the pizza stone.
- Sprinkle paddle with corn meal so that the pizza will easily slide off the paddle onto the pizza stone.
- Add pizza dough to paddle and top with marinara sauce, veggies, tempeh sausage, and sprinkle with nutritional yeast and torn basil.
- Slide to pizza stone and cook with lid closed for 6-8 minutes until crisp and cooked through.