If you’ve never used thinly sliced, crispy potatoes as a base for nachos, do yourself a favor and try it out ASAP! This was so tasty! Potatoes were a great replacement for chips because they’re the same shape and can hold the toppings without the oil, but still have the crispiness. I sprinkled them with chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper before baking which packed them with more flavor than a chip.
I topped the nachos with a blend of black beans, cashew nacho cheeze sauce, bell pepper, and onions cooked in taco seasoning on the stove and then used lettuce, tomato, cucumber, scallions, guacamole, and salsa to top them with.
They were very flavorful, full of texture, filling, and a healthy way to indulge in nachos without all of the fat. Hope you like them!
Loaded Potato Bean Nachos
6-7 gold potatoes, thinly sliced (I used a mandolin on 1/8″)
Sprinkle of chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 bell pepper, I used red, sliced
1 onion, diced
1 tbsp taco seasoning
I used this recipe to make this amazing cashew nacho cheeze sauce and usually hates my nacho cheeze attempts but he really liked this one! I cut it in half and only used 1/2 cup soaked cashews to cut down on the fat and then to thicken it a little more I added 1 tbsp of cornstarch and heated in a skillet after blended until it was thicker. I also kept the beans separated. I really recommend it!
Toppings: Lettuce, grape tomatoes, cucumber, 1 scallion, guacamole, salsa
- Preheat oven to 400* and place potatoes sprinkled with spices on two parchment lined pans. Make sure they’re in one even layer and not overlapping so they get crispy. Bake for 30-40 minutes until crispy.
- Prepare nacho cheeze sauce according to directions.
- In a large saute pan, cook onions and peppers until tender then add the cans of beans.
- Add taco seasoning to beans and a few tbsp of water and cook over medium until everything is warmed through.
- Take potatoes out of oven and let cook for a few minutes, they’ll get crunchier.
- Top with bean mixture, nacho cheeze, and whatever toppings you like for nachos. You might need a fork!