After a week of cooking, there’s odds and ends of extra produce and I just want to make something to use everything up and not waste it. “Waste not, want not” as Granny used to say! This buddha bowl is the perfect way to use all of the food in your fridge and turn it into something delicious and with a drizzle of dressing on top it will all come together as one. You can use whatever you have left in your fridge to make your one version of a buddha bowl, but it’s usually some form of protein, starch, vegetables, and a sauce in one bowl. I love the combination of sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and green veggies with a maple mustard based dressing so as long as I have those things it’s pretty delicious. You just have to roast everything up in the oven and arrange it in a bowl and it’s a crowd pleaser.
Empty the Fridge Buddha Bowl
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
sprinkle of garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika
two sweet potatoes, diced
1/2 lb of asparagus, chopped in 1” pieces
3 cups kale, chopped
3 small zucchini, halved and sliced
10 oz baby Bella mushrooms, halved
1-2 small avocados sliced
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 cup short grain brown rice
Maple Mustard BBQ Dressing
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp yellow mustard
1 tsp maple syrup
Splash of coconut aminos
enough water to thin
1. Preheat oven to 400* and put sweet potatoes on one parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. On another baking sheet add chickpeas and sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika. Put both in the oven and roast for 45 minutes.
3. While those are cooking, dice other vegetables and once you take the potatoes out, you can add the asparagus, mushrooms, and zucchini to a parchment lined pan and roast for 15-20 minutes.
4. Take the chickpeas out and then use that pan to roast the kale for the last 5-7 minutes with nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
5. Heat up rice in the microwave and then combine everything in a bowl and drizzle with bbq dressing.