Is there anything prettier than glaze dripping down a donut? Maybe not. These Strawberry Lemon donuts are spongy, light, and have a delicious strawberry glaze. They’re vegan, gluten free, and oil free as well! I tried to make them as healthy as possible to have a no guilt donut breakfast option and still include as many Whole Foods as possible. The base is oats which I ground into flour and I ran out of applesauce so I used a mashed banana instead of oil. They bake in the oven for 10-13 minutes until puffy and cooked through and then once cool you can dunk them into this sweet strawberry glaze made from fresh strawberries! Yum! These are perfect for spring, Easter, and brighten up a gloomy April storm morning like today.
Strawberry Lemon Donuts (dozen)
2 tbsp flax seed ground, 5 tbsp water mixed
2 cups oat flour (ground oats in food processor)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
Dash of salt
1 mashed ripe banana
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
5-6 drops lemon essential oil (I use Young Living, vitality are the edible kind)
Glaze- 2 fresh strawberries sliced, 1/8 cup almond milk
3/4 cup powdered sugar
Use immersion blender to blend strawberries and milk to make pink milk, then add half to the sugar and combine, if you want it thinner keep adding the milk.
1. Preheat oven to 375* and combine the flax seed and water and set aside to gel.
2. Combine dry ingredients and stir to combine, and then add the wet ingredients and combine.
3. Let it sit for 5 minutes to set up and oats soak up some liquid.
4. Spray your donut pans and fill each mold with batter until almost full.
5. Bake for 10-13 minutes and then let them cool on cooling rack for 15 minutes.
6. While Donuts are baking and cooling, prepare glaze.
7. I line a baking pan with foil and add a cooling rack on top for dipping. After they cool, dip each donut in the glaze and then let them drain on the cooling rack for about 5 minutes.