I haven’t made stuffed shells in years so why not make a vegan version? I just used my usual tofu ricotta recipe and pulsed it with some cooked mushrooms and spinach for a yummy filling. The filling it’s herby, creamy, and reminds you of the real thing It almost tasted like spinach dip! These were pretty enough to please a crowd and made 5-6 servings depending on how many you eat, we had 4 shells each. It’s a great way to get protein and veggies in a pasta dish and they’re so delicious! You could serve with a salad and bread for an impressive meal.
1 box jumbo shells, I used Barilla
1 jar marinara sauce of your liking
Violife vegan parm to top
1 block organic firm tofu, drained and pressed
1 tsp minced garlic
Dash of onion powder
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper
Blend in food processor and then add as much water as you need to get it creamy and smooth, mine took about 1/8 of a cup.
3/4 bag frozen spinach, thawed
10 oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced and sautéd
Add spinach and mushrooms to ricotta mixture and pulse until incorporated.
1. Preheat oven to 375*. Cook shells for 9 minutes until al dente.
2. In a 9×13 spread half of the marinara at the bottom.
3. Cup a cooked shell in your hand and hold it so it stays open while you spoon a tbsp of the filling inside or until full. Lay them in rows in the dish.
4. Top with the remaining marinara sauce then cover with foil.
5. Cook for 30 minutes covered and then 10 uncovered.
6. Sprinkle with vegan parm and serve!