Veggie sushi is one of our top favorites to have regularly because we both love it! I’ve posted a few times about my favorite rolls to make at home because it’s not as hard as you think and SO much cheaper than going out for you weekly fix. I’m going to tell you exactly what I do to make these beautifully fresh vegan rolls at home to impress everyone.
Step by Step Sushi Roll Making-
4 Nori sheets ( I get mine at Whole Foods or Kroger)
1 avocado, sliced
1 mango, sliced in strips
2 Persian cucumbers, sliced in thin strips
3 green onions, sliced
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup spring mix
4 cups short grain brown rice
8 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
Sesame seeds for toppings
Low sodium soy for dipping
1. First I cook my brown rice in my rice cooker and while it’s still warm I get started. Spoon a cup of rice into a bowl and stir in 2 tbsp of seasoned rice vinegar and stir. Let sit a few minutes.
2. While rice is cooling off for a few minutes, have all ingredients sliced and ready to go.
3. Lay your bamboo mat or towel out and lay your nori on top shiny side down. The longer side should be closest to you.
4. Spread about a cup of rice with a rice paddle on to the nori and leave the farthest side with an 3/4 inch to 1 inch empty.
5. Put a few slices of avocado on in a line about an inch in on the side closest to you and mash with a fork.
6. In a line across the roll, add 3 slices of cucumber on top of the avocado, a sprinkle of scallions, and two pieces of mango. (The other is avocado, cucumber, carrot, and spring mix.)
7. Wet your fingertip and wet the farthest side that’s empty so it will seal.
8. Use both hands and start rolling the side closest to you and while your rolling, keep tucking the fillings in and roll tightly.
9. Set aside and let it sit for a few minutes while you make the other rolls.
10. Once they’re done, use a sharp serrated knife (I use my big bread knife) and saw back and forth to make clean slices. One roll makes about 8 pieces.