I came up with this invention because I was missing the constant supply of eggplant and zucchini that I had in Italy, but I was still not ready for a regular pasta dish. What about a lasagna type bake with quinoa instead and layers of tofu ricotta and zucchini? Delish! It was really different and unique, yet still had a familiarity in that it was an Italian inspired layered dish. The firmness of the veggies held it together like the pasta would have and the tofu ricotta gave it creaminess. I just used can tomato sauce that I had on hand and added spices, but marinara would probably be better. If you’re in the mood for a healthy and creative dinner for the family, I would say this one is for you!
Eggplant and Quinoa Bake
1 cup quinoa, 2 cups water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp onion salt
1 large eggplant, sliced thin
2 medium zucchini, sliced thin
1 jar of your favorite marinara
1 tbsp nutritional yeast to top
Sprinkle of basil to top
1 package firm tofu
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
Juice of one lemon
1 tsp oregano
Salt and pepper
Dash of Worcestershire
1/8-1/4 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 400* and salt the sliced eggplant. Leave to seep bitterness for 20-30 minutes then dry with a paper towel.
2. Add all of the ingredients for the tofu ricotta in a food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Boil quinoa and add spices while cooking.
4. Add a layer of marinara to the bottom of a 9×13 dish then start layering eggplant, quinoa, zucchini, tofu ricotta, and sauce and repeat.
5. Sprinkle the top with nutritional yeast and dried or fresh basil then bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes until edges are bubbling.
6. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes to set before cutting. I served with asparagus but would be great with a side salad or garlic bread.
4 Comments Add yours
seems that you have a flair with eggplant. I love it too. i grow them, i cook them 🙂 https://mencanmakehomes.com/2018/04/28/brinjal-eggplant-chops/
Looks good! I wish I could grow them as well.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I grew a few eggplants of my own and used one for this recipe today. I did everything the same minus zucchini. It was great! Penny thought it was “really good” lasagna and she only likes meat and cheese lasagna. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
That’s awesome!! So excited you used and liked it!