You wouldn’t believe that this is a recipe using leftovers. Well I used the leftover cheeze sauce I made for the stuffed baked potatoes last week, roasted some veggies, boiled elbow pasta, and mixed it all together to make a healthy and filling version of Mac n cheese. I roasted broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, and grape tomatoes but you can really add whatever vegetables you have on hand. I also saw some recipes using peas if you wanted some extra protein. Since this sauce is already made from veggies and cashews, there is plenty of protein so it’s a substantial meal. I mixed it all together then scooped it into a baking dish and topped with cashew Parmesan. A few minutes under the broiler and dinner is served! It’s a one dish dinner that everyone will enjoy, kids and adults alike. I used the authentic Italian elbows from Trader Joe’s, but if you’d rather use a whole wheat or rice variety you can substitute that. It made enough for 6 large portions, so I’m currently getting buried in this week’s leftovers already. Hope you try it out!
Roasted Veggie Mac ‘n Cheeze
1 lb Elbow pasta
2 broccoli crowns, chopped
1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
10 oz baby Bella mushrooms, quartered
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp cashew Parmesan
Vegan cheeze sauce, I used
1. Preheat oven to 400*. Roast veggies on a parchment lined tray and sprinkle with garlic powder and pepper for 30-40 min. Add tomatoes for the last 10-15 minutes.
2. Boil pasta and cook two minutes less than package instructions.
3. Keep about 1/4 c pasta water before draining and then combine drained pasta, pasta water, veggies, and about 3/4-1 cup cheeze sauce. I just added tbsps at a time until coated how I wanted.
4. Mix and add into a 9×13 baking dish and sprinkle with cashew Parmesan.
5. Broil for 5-7 minutes until toasty, make sure you watch closely.