If spaghetti is part of a “diet”, then I’m in! This has a mix of roasted eggplant, zucchini, and baby bella mushrooms mixed with split red lentils in an oil free marinara sauce topping brown rice spaghetti. It was filling and a spin on one of those staple meals that you miss if you don’t have for a while. The roasted vegetables gave this texture and heartiness, and the lentils created a “bolognese” quality to the sauce. I also roasted double the amount of diced veggies I needed because tonight we’re having pizzas, so the veggies are already done! Twofer!
Red Lentil and Roasted Veggie Pasta
1/2 cup split red lentils, dry
1 lb Organic Brown Rice Spaghetti, TJ’s
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 eggplant, diced
2 zucchini, quartered and sliced
1/2 carton baby bella mushrooms, de-stemmed and sliced
1 jar Organic Spaghetti Sauce with Mushrooms, no oil from TJ’s
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
vegan parm to sprinkle
- Preheat oven on 400* and cube eggplant. Lay it out on paper towels and sprinkle with salt and let it excrete it’s bitterness, about 20 minutes.
- Use a paper towel to press out the water that came from the eggplant and then add the eggplant, mushrooms, and zucchini to a parchment lined baking sheet. I did use a really light spray of olive oil and sprinkle with spices. Roast for 30ish minutes until tender.
- In a large saucepan, add diced onion and lentils and cover with water. Boil until they’re soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add sauce to lentil mixture and combine.
- Cook pasta, my pasta water got so starchy that I had to dump the water out and add clean water so it would absorb and cook.
- Combine roasted veggies to the marina mix and then top your pasta with the amount you’d like and a sprinkle of vegan parm.