My mom makes amazing lasagna so it was always something our family looked forward to eating growing up, but since it’s laden with ground meat and cheese I wanted to find a replacement for us to enjoy. Most of the shredded vegan cheese I’ve tried aren’t the tastiest, so sometimes I’d rather just go without. I tried to create something that was nutritious, but filled with Italian flavor and I think this lasagna did the trick!
3 tsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 package of tempeh (Trader Joe’s) prepared as “sausage crumbles” (Recipe here)
1 16 oz button mushrooms, sliced
1 16 oz. organic firm tofu
1 bag of frozen chopped spinach
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 box of whole wheat lasagna noodles (uncooked)
2 28 oz of marinara
1 tbsp of nutritional yeast
3 tbsp. Vegan parmesan
1 tbsp italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375*
- Prepare the tempeh by following the link provided in a saute pan.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish and add a few tbsp of marinara to the bottom of the dish. Add the rest of the marinara to the tempeh crumbles.
- Sauté the onion, half the bag of frozen spinach, mushrooms and garlic in olive oil until soft and add salt and pepper.
- Press the water out of the tofu, dice, and add to a food processor. Blend on high until smooth with the italian seasoning, 1 tsp of olive oil, salt and pepper, and nutritional yeast. Fold in with the vegetable mixture to make the filling.
- Lay down a layer of dry noodles on the sauce and add vegetable mixture to top. Add a layer of tempeh marinara, noodles, vegetable mixture, noodles, and marinara.
- Top with vegan parmesan and cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes until bubbling at the edges and uncover to bake the last 15 minutes.