I made this amazing creamy tomato basil pasta last night and it was so easy to throw together and was such a satisfying meal. Bow ties might be my favorite pasta shape… they’re so cute and fun! I added spinach and mushrooms to the sauce for extra veggies, and I was planning on adding zucchini too but they had already gone bad. It’s the perfect blend of tomato to cream ratio and I always love adding the Violife vegan parm and torn fresh basil on top. Yum!
Creamy Tomato Basil Pasta
1 lb farfalle pasta
1/2 large bag of fresh spinach
8 oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 29 oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp fresh torn basil
1/4 cup raw cashews
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper to taste
Blend until smooth.
1. Soak cashews in hot water for 30 minutes.
2. In a large sauce pan, sauté onion over medium heat until translucent 8-10 minutes.
3. Add in mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes and tomato paste and sauté another 2-3 minutes.
4. Dump in tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
5. Cook pasta until al dente save 1/4 cup of pasta water and set to the side.
6. Stir cashew cream, basil, and pasta water into the sauce and add in spinach to wilt.
7. Dump pasta into sauce and stir to coat.
8. Top with vegan parm and fresh torn basil.