We’re having a fundraiser going on at school and my class is currently in first place in the school, so I thought they deserved a reward! I have one student who is dairy/gluten free and another allergic to tree nuts. My GF student has her own back up cookies for whenever I bring something that she can’t have, but I wanted to make something that we all could enjoy and celebrate together. I scoured Pinterest and finally found a recipe that looked easy enough and I wouldn’t need to go buy 273 new ingredients. Everyone loves dense, fudgy inside, crisp on the outside brownies, right? I know they’re one of my favorite desserts and I haven’t had them in forever!
Originally this recipe wasn’t gluten free, so I substituted oat flour for the all purpose flour and I also added a bag of dark chocolate chunks to make them that much more decadent. I doubled the recipe to make enough for my 24 students (plus Josh and I, let’s be real) and we found out by trial tonight that they’re actually better once they cool off. I know it’s hard to wait but it’s worth it!
Fudgy Vegan GF Brownies
2 flax eggs ( 2 tbsp ground flaxseed and 5 tbsp water)
1/2 cup vegan butter ( I used the Earth Balance buttery sticks), melted
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1-2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup oat flour (grind up oats in your food processor until flour- like consistency)
1/2 tsp baking soda
Sprinkle of salt
1 bag of dark chocolate chunks
1. Preheat oven to 350*
2. Make flax eggs and let them gel for a few minutes to the side.
3. Use a mixer to mix the sugar, melted butter, and vanilla.
4. Add in the flax eggs until just mixed and the stop.
5. Add in oat flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Mix until just combined.
6. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
7. Add to a greased 8×8 baking dish and bake for 30-45 minutes and check to make sure edges are crisp and middle is just cooked through. Mine took longer being a double batch.
Let them cool and then enjoy! They’re really tasty! I mean they’re definitely not great in the healthy department, but everyone needs a treat now and then.
I went back to find the original recipe on Pinterest to post but can’t find it because I just took a snapshot of the ingredient list so I just added the things I changed and what I did instead.