If you’re a vegan who misses the flavor of beef, this could be the one for you. I used Vegetarian Better than Bouillon Beef flavor and vegetable broth to cook the lentils so they absorbed the flavor and kind of tastes like traditional ground meat shepherd’s pie with a different texture. I used the inside of the potatoes from Super Bowl to make my mashed potatoes to top my pie and they combined to make a really savory, satisfying meal. I used a recipe I found on Pinterest and since I’m not using oil I adjusted the recipe to fit my needs and added other things in so this is my take on it. You can add whatever veggies you’d like, but the mushroom, onion, and green pea mixture worked really well in this recipe.
Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
5-6 russet potatoes, baked and insides scooped
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper
1 cup dry green lentils
10 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
5 oz frozen onion, celery, carrot mix
1 tbs minced garlic
1 tsp vegan Worcestershire
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 cup green peas, frozen
1 tbsp Vegetarian Better Than Bouillon Beef flavor, Whole Foods
3 cups vegetable broth, no oil. Pacific brand.
1 tsp thyme
1 tbsp cornstarch
pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425* and heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook your frozen mirepoix of veggies with your mushrooms, garlic, thyme, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Once cooked, remove from pan.
- Add vegetable broth, lentils, and bouillon to pan and simmer for 15 minutes until tender.
- While lentils simmer, combine mashed potato ingredients and use a mixer to blend until smooth.
- There should be liquid still left in the pan after lentils cook, so add cornstarch and cooked veggies back in the pan. If there’s not, add some more broth. Add cup of peas and cook over low until sauce thickens. Sprinkle with pepper and add to a 9×13 baking dish.
- Carefully scoop tiny amounts of mashed potatoes over the lentils and then spread around. If you do large dollops they sink to the bottom.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes until edges are bubbling.