Perfect rainy night meal alert! I came up with this idea after I saw Clinton Kelly making a white bean and spinach pasta on The Chew last week. I was really excited to see a vegan option on their show because I usually have to ignore most of the things that they make now. Minus the parmesan, it was vegan! Thanks Clinty! I decided to take their idea and run with it and come up with my own recipe. Adding baby bella mushrooms is always a good idea, and I blended the white beans to make a creamy sauce to coat the brown rice pasta and vegetables. I make a rosemary white bean dip for appetizer sometimes and love the flavor combination so I thought I would make a rosemary, lemon, white wine, cannellini sauce. It’s a nice feeling knowing everything you are putting in your body is healthy and you’re doing the best for yourself, and making a creamy sauce out of white beans instead of dairy is a great option. It’s lighter and doesn’t weigh you down, yet it’s still a comforting pasta dish.
Mushroom and Spinach Pasta with Rosemary White Bean Sauce
12 oz baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
6 oz bag of baby spinach
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 red onion, diced
1/2 c vegetable broth, low sodium
1/4 c white wine, use the cheap stuff
1 tsp dried rosemary, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb brown rice pasta, TJ’s bag has only brown rice and water, no fillers!
1 lemon, zest and 1/2 juice
few splashes of Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
vegan parmesan to top
- Spray olive oil in a large skillet and saute red onion, mushrooms, spinach, worcestershire, and garlic until tender.
- In a high speed blender (I used my Nutribullet) put the beans, veggie broth, rosemary, salt and pepper and blend literally less than a minute until just smooth and thick.
- Cook rice pasta very al dente because it will continue to cook when combining.
- Add wine to the veggie mixture and cook for a few minutes then add the white bean mixture to make a creamy sauce.
- Pour the pasta in to combine, and then add the zest of one lemon, and half of the lemon’s juice.
- Serve with a sprinkle of veggie parm on top.