My mom used to make tetrazzini and I always loved it, so I was excited to find a mushroom tetrazzini recipe on Pinterest. At first I found one for the instant pot, but I don’t have one so I found another by Rabbitandwolves. I made it oil free by taking out the butter and olive oil and made my own version based on hers. We may or may not have eaten half of the 9×13 that it made for dinner… oops, and by we it was mostly me. It has a creamy sauce and a crispy breadcrumb topping so the textures are amazing! It’s loaded with baby Bella mushrooms and green peas.
1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
16 oz baby Bella mushrooms, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Vegetarian Better than Bouillon, no chicken base
1/2 cup prepared cashew cream (blend 1/3 cup cashews and 1/2 cup water until smooth)
3/4 cup almond milk unsweetened
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup green peas
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
Olive oil spray
1. Preheat oven to broil and cook pasta to al dente.
3. In a large sauté pan, cook onion over medium heat until translucent and then add garlic and mushrooms and cook another 5-7 minutes.
4. Prepare cashew cream and set aside.
5. Drain pasta and add back to large pot, then add in mushroom mixture, and all of the other ingredients except the breadcrumbs and stir to combine.
6. Spray a 9×13 baking dish and add pasta, then sprinkle with breadcrumbs and spray with a light spray of olive oil just so they will brown.
7. Place in the oven to brown and watch it so it doesn’t burn or get dried out, about 5 minutes.