I made a version of these tofu lettuce wraps for New Year’s Eve and I really enjoyed them, so I ended up making them this week when my bestie came over for dinner. They’re so tasty! Crispy cubes of tofu and veggies tossed in a sweet and savory sauce on a bed rice noodles inside a lettuce cup. Yum! The combination of textures and flavors are so delicious and it’s the perfect light dinner or would be great for an appetizer for a gathering.
Tofu Lettuce Wraps
1 block extra firm organic tofu, cubed
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
8 oz baby Bella mushrooms, diced
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup water chestnuts, chopped
1/4 c low sodium soy sauce
1/4 c Hoisin sauce
3 green onions, sliced diagonally
1/2 tsp minced garlic
Dash of ginger powder
Add red pepper flakes if you want spice
Iceberg lettuce cups
Vermicelli rice noodles
1. Preheat oven to 400* and drain tofu on paper towels for 20 minutes. Spread on a parchment lined pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until crispy and golden.
2. While it’s baking, add the bell pepper, mushrooms, carrots and garlic in a large sauce pan over medium heat and cook until tender.
3. Add in whites of green onions, water chestnuts, soy, hoisin, spices, and tofu and stir to coat.
4. Add boiling water to dried rice noodles in a bowl and let them soak until tender.
5. Add rice noodles to each lettuce cup, and then add the tofu mixture and top with green onions.