I invited a friend over for spaghetti and the Bachelor finale last night and at least I stayed awake for the spaghetti. I used a recipe from Michael on The Chew and I’m always thrilled when they make something almost vegan that I can try now. This is a simple and quick pomodoro sauce that doesn’t take hours to simmer, and it tasted really fresh. I adjusted the recipe to take out the oil, butter, and Parmesan and added a few things. The fresh basil makes it really pop and I made some easy vegan cashew Parmesan to sprinkle on top.
1/4 c vegetable broth
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
1.5 tbsp minced garlic
1 28 oz can peeled San Marzano tomatoes
2 tbsp oregano, dried
Small handful of basil leaves, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Sprinkle of red pepper flakes (optional)
1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
1. Sauté onion in veggie broth in a large sauté pan until translucent and add tomato paste and garlic.
2. Add can of tomatoes and use your hands to squeeze the tomatoes and break them down to create a tomato sauce. There will still be small pieces, just make sure there’s not large ones.
3. Add oregano, basil, and salt and pepper.
4. Simmer for about 20 minutes and if it gets too thick, add a ladle full of pasta water.
5. Cook pasta while sauce is simmering and once al dente add to the sauce at the last minute and combine.
Sprinkle with basil and cashew parm.
1/4 cup raw cashews
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
Sprinkle of sea salt
– combine in a food processor and pulse until grated Parmesan consistency.