Mushroom Stroganoff is a creamy, rich, mushroom based dish either served with pasta, mashed potatoes, or rice and I decided to make my own recipe without added oil or excess fat. It was really tasty and served with whole wheat ziti and a side salad. I looked at a few recipes to get my ideas flowing on what I wanted to include in my own stroganoff and then I just went with what I thought would be tasty. Luckily it was!
Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe
16 oz baby Bella mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
1 shallot, sliced thin
1 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp all purpose flour
2 oz white wine
1 tbsp Better than Bouillon No Beef Base
.5 tbsp dijon mustard
1 c almond milk
1 c water
1 tsp thyme
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 lb whole wheat pasta
salt and pepper to taste
- Add the mushrooms in a large sauté pan with the shallot and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, then add the garlic for another 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and mix to coat.
- Slowly add in the white wine to deglaze the pan and stir to mix completely.
- It’ll start looking pretty clumpy, so add in the milk, bouillon, and water with a whisk and mix to try and smooth it out.
- Add in the dijon, thyme, and mix to combine.
- Bring it to a boil, then turn down to a simmer to thicken up. Keep stiring every few minutes to prevent sticking.
- When it’s thick enough to your liking, add in the lemon juice to cut the richness and pour over cooked pasta and mix to combine.