Last week I made these simple veggie calzones that were scrumptious and can be made so quickly! I stuffed my calzone with eggplant, mushrooms, bell pepper, and spinach then mixed in some marinara and spices for a tasty pocket of goodness! You can add vegan mozzarella if you’d like, but I just added a sprinkle of Violife vegan parm and close them up. You can sauté the veggies in a few minutes and they only bake in a high heat oven for about 10 minutes. So delicious! I made a side salad and it was a great weeknight meal.
Easy Vegetable Calzones
1 ball of pre-made whole wheat or herb pizza dough
1 jar of marinara sauce
1 bag of spinach
8 oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
1 eggplant, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp nutritional yeast
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 500* and heat a large skillet.
- Add eggplant, peppers, mushrooms, and garlic to the oil and cook until tender.
- Add spinach, fennel seed, red pepper flakes, nutritional yeast, and Oregano and cook until spinach is wilted and then add salt and pepper to taste. Add 1/2 a jar of sauce and combine.
- On a floured surface, cut the dough into 4 equal balls and roll each one out until about 1/4 inch thin. Add them to a large baking sheet on parchment.
- Use a few tbsp of veggies in the middle of each one.
- Sprinkle with a little bit of vegan parmesan.
- Pull the empty half over the filled half and press the edges together until sealed, and then fold the seal over and press closed again.
- Spray with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and Italian seasoning.
- Bake about 10 minutes until golden brown and serve with warm marinara sauce