Josh has been craving his mom’s broccoli cheddar rice, so I told him I would try to find a veganized version. I asked her for her recipe and then felt a little confused as to how I would veganize it because it had condensed soup, cheddar, and more dairy. I researched how to make vegan condensed soup and found a simple recipe for it. Hooray! I decided to make something similar to that and I added nutritional yeast for some cheezy flavor. It was an easy, simple recipe and it make a tasty and healthy casserole. Next time I’ll try to buy some vegan cheddar from Whole Foods to add in so it’s cheesier tasting, but this was a great version without a lot of processed stuff. The breadcrumbs on top give it some extra texture and makes it look nice.
Vegan Broccoli Cheezy Rice
2 crowns broccoli, chopped
2 cups brown jasmine rice, dry
1/4-1/2 cup breadcrumbs for topping
Condensed Soup Sauce-
1/4 almond milk
1 tbsp Vegetarian Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup water
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
dash of smoked paprika
salt and pepper if needed
- Preheat oven to 375*. Cook rice according to directions.
- Add chopped broccoli to a plate and I microwaved it for 3 minutes because I didn’t feel like cleaning another pan!
- Mix all together in a measuring cup and heat in a saucepan over medium heat until thick.
- In a 9×13, add cooked broccoli and cooked rice. Pour in sauce and mix right in the dish.
- Sprinkle with pepper and breadcrumbs and cover in foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes covered and 5-10 uncovered.