Sometimes simplicity is key and when you have a few ingredients on hand you can easily make something filling, delicious, and healthy. I found a recipe for this on Pinterest and changed it up a bit for what I thought made it easier and it was! Instead of roasting just the chickpeas and sautéing the other veggies, I prefer the crunchiness of roasted kale so I added that to the oven as well and I added the onion, garlic, and mushrooms straight into my rice cooker to cook at the same time so it was an effort (and dish soap) saver. Instead of just a tbsp of soy sauce in the rice, I added some Vegetarian Better than Bouillon Beef flavor to the rice water to add a depth of flavor and richness in the dish. It reminded me of my lentils and rice, but it’s a great way to change it up and make a one pot meal that has minimal cleanup and time spent prepping.
Roasted Chickpea, Mushroom, and Kale Rice Bowl
2 cups dry long grain brown rice, rinsed
2 tsp Vegetarian Better than Bouillon Beef
1 tsp minced garlic
1 onion, diced
10 oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
Pepper to taste
4 cups water
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
Sprinkle of paprika, salt and pepper
4 cups chopped kale
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 400*
2. In your rice cooker, add the first 7 ingredients and press the brown rice setting, it takes a little over an hour.
3. On a parchment lined pan, spread the chickpeas on half the pan and sprinkle with named spices and place in the oven for 30ish minutes.
4. When you pull chickpeas out, give them a stir and add the kale to the other half of the pan and squeeze with lemon.
5. Put back in to bake for another 10-15 minutes until kale is crispy.
6. When rice cooker is done, add chickpeas and kale to rice mixture and serve.