Today was the last day of school with kids and I feel like I’ve been exhausted for weeks now! There’s been so much going on, and on top of it I’m moving classrooms so I’ve been packing and moving it all down the hall. Luckily my kids helped me move almost everything so they’ve been a huge help! Teachers are so conflicted at the end of the year because you’ve come to love your kids after 10 months of 8 hour days with them, yet you’re so exhausted the break sounds wonderful. One of my students gave me a Vegan Cookbook as my gift and it was so sweet, I can’t wait to recipe test over the summer when I have more time. I’m looking forward to a summer full of cooking, travel, tutoring, fun in the sun and relaxing! It’ll zoom by, always does.
This was a great dinner idea for those busy weeks when you just want to get something healthy on the table. It’s not as quick as I predicted, because you have to let the falafel res before baking and then bake for a while so be more prepared than I was if you want a decent timed dinner. I got this mix from Trader Joe’s and it’s vegan mix and all you have to add is water! Literally, mix-water-stir, you’re done. I made the whole box so that we would have a lot of leftovers to freeze and we can pop them out for wraps and salads later on.
I put the falafel on a toasted whole wheat pita with lettuce, red onion, tomato, and cucumber and made a simple lemon garlic tahini sauce to drizzle on top. YUM!
Easy Falafel Wraps
Box of TJ’s Falafel Mix
whole wheat pitas
tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onion diced
Lemon Garlic Tahini Dressing (based off McDougall recipe)
3 tbsp tahini paste (TJ’s)
juice of two lemons
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp sriracha sauce
salt to taste
water to thin to consistency you want
- Preheat oven to 375* and mix falafel mix with water in a bowl and let sit for 30-60 minutes.
- Once mixture is thick, form patties about 1.5 inch wide and place on a parchment or silpat mat lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until firm and golden brown and remove to let cool.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together with a fork or small whisk.
- Toast pita, break two falafel patties in half and place in the middle of the pita. Add toppings and drizzle with tahini sauce and enjoy!